Every year on April 22, more than a billion people across the globe celebrate Earth Day.
Earth Day gives us the opportunity to come together to share awareness of what we can do to maintain a healthy environment on our planet. We believe we’re pretty good about recycling and being energy efficient in our homes, but what about our workplaces?
Here are some easy practices that can be put in place at the office:
- Use less paper. Do you really need to print that email? At least print double sided if you have to.
- Turn off the lights. As the days get longer, allow the natural light from the windows to brighten your workspace
- Watch that thermostat. Keep the office at a comfortable temperature. Wear layers instead of adjusting the thermostat.
- Stock the staff kitchen with reusable cutlery, glasses, dishes, cups. Have well marked recycling bins for food waste, plastics, paper etc.
- Buy energy efficient equipment. Laptops use less energy than desktops. Use sleep or standby mode when not in use. Turn off your computer at end of the day, and especially for the weekend.
- Walk, bike, or take public transportation to work. If your position allows for it, occasionally telecommute.
- Donate used electronic equipment to charities.
If we can all make adjustments, we can contribute to a healthy planet.
Happy Earth Day!